Note: Thank you for your interest in joining the Building Ventures team. This role has now been filled, and we’re looking forward to introducing our new Associate soon.
We’re excited to share that we’re growing the Building Ventures team! We’re looking for a driven, analytical self-starter passionate about working with the next generation of built environment entrepreneurs to join our team as an Associate. The Associate will work closely with members of our investment team to perform market research, assist with due diligence for new investments, and support both our portfolio companies and our limited partners.
You can find the full job description—with details on the role, the team, and the desired experience for candidates—below. If this sounds like a great fit for you, please click here to apply.
Job Description | Associate
Associate (Venture Capital) | Building Ventures
Boston, MA or San Francisco, CA
About Building Ventures
Building Ventures is an early-stage venture capital firm dedicated to investing in the startups reshaping the way we design, build, operate, and experience our built environment. Learn more about the team and our portfolio companies at http://buildingventures.com.
About the Associate Role
We seek to add an Associate to our Boston-based team to work both autonomously and collaboratively on a variety of firm activities. The Associate role at Building Ventures will contribute to our investment team activities, including continuously assessing the market, diligence of new investments, supporting our existing portfolio companies, and servicing our Limited Partners. Ideal candidates are analytical self-starters who are passionate about working with the next generation of built environment entrepreneurs.
Essential Job Functions
Each day will bring a different mix of activities including but not limited to the following:
- Conduct market research on construction and real estate industry trends, emerging technologies, and individual startups
- Create market maps, reports, and presentations of findings to share with the investment team
- Stay on top of relevant industry literature and report out on shifting narratives or key topics
New Deals & Due Diligence
- Research and analyze investment candidates, the markets they serve, and their competition
- Assist with our deal flow process, including assessing and triaging inbound opportunities, contributing to and project managing due diligence, and analyzing financial statements
- Improve and maintain internal tracking of opportunities for reporting purposes
- Attend industry events such as Pitch/Demo Days and report back any relevant startups
- Gather quarterly financial statements, operational data, and key business developments from portfolio companies for analysis and tracking
- Manage collection of financial data and valuation inputs as part of the FASB 820 valuation and annual audit process
- Identify, track, and report on relevant entrants to our portfolio companies’ competitive landscape
Limited Partner Relations
- Assist in reporting our progress to our investors, which consists of generating quarterly reports, as well as analyzing and organizing the critical financial and operational data of our portfolio companies
- Participate in creating quarterly and annual business reports to be presented to our strategic investors
Our ideal candidates come from diverse backgrounds and bring a mix of the following attributes:
- 3-5 years of professional experience in VC/PE, startup/accelerator experience, a financial or technical role in the construction or real estate industries, technology investment banking, or technical business consulting,
- College degree and MBA or equivalent experience
- Experience conducting market research and competitive analysis
- Desire to work both independently and collaboratively
- Comfortable communicating, networking, and collaborating with team members at all levels of the firm and portfolio companies
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate, manage, and prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Passion for both the startup ecosystem and our built environment